Symbicort® COPD (budesonide/formoterol)
Symbicort® (budesonide/formoterol) Turbohaler® and Symbicort® pMDI are combinations of an inhaled corticosteroid and a long-acting β2-agonist
How to use Symbicort devices in COPD
How to use the Turbohaler1
Before the first use, the Symbicort® Turbohaler® needs to be prepared by carrying out step 3 twice.
Every time you need to take an inhalation, follow the instructions below:
1. Unscrew the cover and lift it off. You may hear a rattling sound.
2. Hold your Symbicort® Turbohaler® upright with the red grip at the bottom.
3. Do not hold the mouthpiece when you load your Turbohaler®. To load your Symbicort® Turbohaler® with a dose, turn the red grip as far as it will go in one direction. Then turn it as far as it will go in the other direction (it does not matter which way you turn it first). You should hear a click sound. Your Turbohaler® is now loaded and ready to use. Only load your Symbicort® Turbohaler® when you need to use it.
4. Hold your Symbicort® Turbohaler® away from your mouth. Breathe out gently (as far as is comfortable). Do not breathe out through your Symbicort® Turbohaler®.
5. Place the mouthpiece gently between your teeth. Close your lips. Breathe in as deeply and as hard as you can through your mouth. Do not chew or bite on the mouthpiece.
6. Remove your Symbicort® Turbohaler® from your mouth. Then breathe out gently. The amount of medicine that is inhaled is very small. This means you may not be able to taste it after inhalation. If you have followed the instructions, you can still be confident that you have inhaled the dose and the medicine is now in your lungs.
7. If you are to take a second inhalation, repeat steps 2 to 6.
8. Replace the cover tightly after use.
9. Rinse your mouth with water after your daily morning and/or evening doses, and spit it out.