Symbicort® COPD (budesonide/formoterol)
Symbicort® (budesonide/formoterol) Turbohaler® and Symbicort® pMDI are combinations of an inhaled corticosteroid and a long-acting β2-agonist
How to use Symbicort devices in COPD
How to use the Turbohaler1
Before the first use, the Symbicort® Turbohaler® needs to be prepared by carrying out step 3 twice.
Every time you need to take an inhalation, follow the instructions below:
1. Unscrew the cover and lift it off. You may hear a rattling sound.
2. Hold your Symbicort® Turbohaler® upright with the red grip at the bottom.
3. Do not hold the mouthpiece when you load your Turbohaler®. To load your Symbicort® Turbohaler® with a dose, turn the red grip as far as it will go in one direction. Then turn it as far as it will go in the other direction (it does not matter which way you turn it first). You should hear a click sound. Your Turbohaler® is now loaded and ready to use. Only load your Symbicort® Turbohaler® when you need to use it.
4. Hold your Symbicort® Turbohaler® away from your mouth. Breathe out gently (as far as is comfortable). Do not breathe out through your Symbicort® Turbohaler®.
5. Place the mouthpiece gently between your teeth. Close your lips. Breathe in as deeply and as hard as you can through your mouth. Do not chew or bite on the mouthpiece.
6. Remove your Symbicort® Turbohaler® from your mouth. Then breathe out gently. The amount of medicine that is inhaled is very small. This means you may not be able to taste it after inhalation. If you have followed the instructions, you can still be confident that you have inhaled the dose and the medicine is now in your lungs.
7. If you are to take a second inhalation, repeat steps 2 to 6.
8. Replace the cover tightly after use.
9. Rinse your mouth with water after your daily morning and/or evening doses, and spit it out.
How to use the pMDI
The Symbicort® pMDI is available as a 200 µg/6 µg per actuation, pressurised inhalation, suspension.3
The Symbicort® pMDI is suitable for the relevant COPD patients who prefer or need a pMDI, or/and can no longer use a dry-powder inhaler (DPI) such as a Turbohaler®.3
The easy view dose counter allows your patients to determine the remaining number of doses.
To use the Symbicort® pMDI:3
- If the inhaler is new, has not been used for more than one week or if it has been dropped it must be primed before use. Prime the inhaler by shaking well for 5 seconds, remove the mouthpiece and actuate it into the air. Wait for 10 seconds and repeat
- Shake the inhaler well for at least 5 seconds prior to use
- Remove the mouthpiece cover
- Hold the inhaler upright
- Place the mouthpiece in the mouth. While breathing in slowly and deeply, press the device firmly to release the medication. Continue to breathe in and hold the breath for approximately 10 seconds or as long as is comfortable. Inhaling at the same time as actuating the inhaler ensures that active substances reach the lungs. Remove the inhaler from your mouth before you breath out slowly
- If you need to take another dose, shake the inhaler again and repeat
- Replace the mouthpiece cover after use
- Rinse the mouth with water after inhaling the prescribed dose to minimise the risk of oropharyngeal thrush
- Clean the mouthpiece of the inhaler regularly, at least once a week with a clean dry cloth
For full details on how to use the Symbicort® pMDI please consult the patient leaflet:
Symbicort pMDI 200/6 PIL : https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/7223/pil