For women with ovarian cancer, early identification of BRCA mutations can help determine the most appropriate treatment plan, and if the mutation is germline, can also support identification of family members at risk, and reduce future cancers through potential interventions.1–3
Whilst germline BRCA testing for women with ovarian cancer is now commissioned by NHS England, funding for tumour testing remains limited.4,5 Therefore, to support identification of these women, AstraZeneca is providing a tumour BRCA testing service free of charge at certain sites in the UK.
Here you can find out more about BRCA testing, what the AstraZeneca tumour BRCA testing service is and how you can access it.
- Tan, D. S. P. & Kaye, S. B. Chemotherapy for Patients with BRCA1 and BRCA2-Mutated Ovarian Cancer: Same or Different? Am. Soc. Clin. Oncol. Educ. Book Am. Soc. Clin. Oncol. Meet. 114–121 (2015).
- EMA. Lynparza Summary of Product Characteristics.
- Inherited genes and cancer types. Cancer Research UK (2015). Available at: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/inherited-cancer-genes-and-increased-cancer-risk/inherited-genes-and-cancer-types. (Accessed: 6th June 2017)
- NHS England E01/P/b. Clinical Commissioning Policy: Genetic Testing for BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutations. Available at: https://www.england.nhs.uk/commissioning/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2015/10/e01pb-brca-ovarian-cancer-oct15.pdf. (Accessed: 6th June 2017)
- Fotopoulou, C. et al. British Gynaecological Cancer Society (BGCS) Epithelial Ovarian / Fallopian Tube / Primary Peritoneal Cancer Guidelines: Recommendations for Practice.
- Konstantinopoulos, P. A., Ceccaldi, R., Shapiro, G. I. & D’Andrea, A. D. Homologous recombination deficiency: Exploiting the fundamental vulnerability of ovarian cancer. Cancer Discov. 5, 1137–1154 (2015).
- Wallace, A. J. New challenges for BRCA testing: a view from the diagnostic laboratory. Eur. J. Hum. Genet. 24, S10–S18 (2016).
- Mafficini, A. et al. BRCA somatic and germline mutation detection in paraffin embedded ovarian cancers by next-generation sequencing. Oncotarget 7, 1076–1083 (2016).
GB-9009 - December 2017